John Jermain Memorial Library
Sag Harbor, NY | 2003-2004
MDA provided a planning study, building program, and concept design for the transformation and expansion of the historic library in the heart of the village of Sag Harbor. The existing 1910 classical revival building, bequeathed to the town by Mrs. Russell Sage, evokes a strong civic presence. Its solid structure and architecturally distinctive details include a Guastavino tile vaulted reading room. At the request of a community group, MDA explored strategies to keep the library in its downtown location and expand the 7,930 square foot structure. The study articulated the need for ADA access, infrastructure, technological and functional improvements and expansion. The resulting 14,500 square foot design addresses the ambitious goals of the new 21st century library program by expanding the space and improving the layout and function.